Entertainment venue noise

Loud music from entertainment venues can be a problem, especially late at night.

State Environment Protection Policy (Control of Music Noise from Public Premises) No. N-2 has been developed for the control of music from non-residential premises.

Noise requirements based on this policy are often included in a venue's liquor licence (Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation) or planning permit (Department of Planning and Community Development).

EPA enforces the policy for large outdoor music events.

For indoor venues such as hotels, restaurants and nightclubs, enforcement of these rules should be referred to the local council or the police. Following a report, police have power under section 48AB of the Environment Protection Act 1970 to instruct a venue to abate any entertainment noise after midnight. These directions stay in force until 8am.

Page last updated on 12 Feb 2014