Compliance and enforcement

Infringement notices

Some of your options may have changed due to changes in legislation. For more information, visit the Fines Victoria website

Pay your infringement

You must pay your infringement by the due date to avoid added fees and enforcement action.

  • BPAY – Pay by BPAY using online or phone banking. Your reference numbers will be on your infringement or penalty reminder notice.
  • 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC) – Pay over the phone using your MasterCard or Visa card. Call weekdays 9:00am – 5:00pm.
  • Pay in person at any Australia Post office. 

Infringement notices + Expand all Collapse all

  • If you can’t pay by the due date

    You may be eligible for a payment plan. A payment plan lets you choose to:

    • pay by instalments
    • have an extension of time to pay
    • do both.

    You can also request us to refer your infringement to Fines Victoria for a payment arrangement. This is useful if you have infringements with other agencies that you also want to pay off.


    Any individual or company can apply for a payment plan.

    If you hold one of the following cards you automatically qualify for a payment plan:

    • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
    • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card
    • Centrelink Health Care Card (any type, including non-means tested).

    Otherwise, EPA has discretion to approve or refuse a payment plan application.

    How to apply

    You can apply by contacting EPA:

  • If it wasn’t you who littered

    For litter infringements occurring from a vehicle, the following people are all considered guilty:

    • the driver of the vehicle
    • the registered owner of the vehicle
    • anyone the owner authorised to use the vehicle when the offence happened.

    EPA will issue the infringement notice to the registered owner.

    If you are the registered owner, you can nominate another person by providing us a statutory declaration in either of these cases:

    • another person was driving or possessed the vehicle when the offence happened
    • you did not deposit the litter but you saw who did (such as a passenger).

    Possible outcomes of submitting your statutory declaration include:

    • EPA withdrawing your infringement
    • EPA withdrawing your infringement and issuing one to another person.
    • EPA rejecting your nomination.


    Nominations only apply to litter infringements.

    To nominate another person, submit an original statutory declaration (PDF 146KB) within 14 days of receiving your infringement notice.

    Providing a false statutory declaration is an offence with significant penalties, including imprisonment.

    Your statutory declaration must:

    • state your full name (or company name and your job title if applicable)
    • state your residential address (or company address if applicable)
    • nominate one of –
      • the person you saw deposit the litter
      • the driver at the time of the offence
      • the person authorised to use the vehicle at the time of the offence
      • the owner at the time of the offence (for example, for sold vehicles)
    • include the full name of the person you are nominating
    • include their residential or business address
    • be signed by you and an authorised witness.

    If you do not know the responsible person’s address you must state that and why you do not know.

    Note: If the vehicle is registered to a company, then the statutory declaration must be made by the person who was driving at the time of the alleged offence.

    How to apply

    You can submit your original statutory declaration to:

    • GPO Box 4395, Melbourne Victoria 3001
    • Level 3, 200 Victoria St, Carlton Victoria 3053.
  • If you would like your infringement reviewed

    You can apply for an internal review of EPA’s decision to issue you with an infringement notice on any of the following grounds:

    • contrary to law
    • mistaken identity
    • exceptional circumstances
    • special circumstances (including mental health, drug or alcohol addiction, homelessness or family violence)
    • person unaware (of the notice being served).

    For more information on what the grounds mean, refer to our fact sheet Grounds for an internal review.


    Anyone served with an infringement notice (or someone authorised to act on their behalf) can apply for an internal review.

    Your application must:

    • be in writing
    • be signed by you or someone that you have authorised (an electronic signature is acceptable)
    • state the grounds for review
    • provide a current address.

    You can only apply for one internal review per infringement offence.

    Possible outcomes of an internal review include:

    • EPA withdraws your infringement
    • EPA withdraws your infringement but issues an official warning
    • EPA confirms your infringement
    • EPA confirms your infringement but waives added fees
    • EPA confirms your infringement but offers a payment plan.

    Possible outcomes if you apply on the grounds of person unaware:

    • EPA ‘resets’ your infringement – you will still need to deal with the infringement. Any added fees will be waived.
    • EPA confirms your infringement.

    How to apply

    You can apply in writing or by completing the internal review form and send it by either of these options:

    You should provide evidence to support your application.

    Your application will be determined by an internal reviewer who was not involved in issuing the infringement.

  • If you would like to go to court

    You can have your matter determined at a formal hearing at the Magistrates’ Court (or the Children’s Court if you’re under 18).


    Anyone served with an infringement notice can elect to go to court.

    Your application should include:

    • your full name and contact details
    • your infringement notice number
    • a statement that you would like to have your matter heard in court.

    How to apply

    You can apply in writing to either of:

    At a court hearing a magistrate can do any of the following:

    • record a conviction
    • issue you with a fine (which can be a different amount from your original infringement)
    • dismiss your matter
    • order you to undertake community work.

    If you don’t attend your court hearing, your matter can be determined without you.

  • If you would like to work off your fine

    Some Victorians may be eligible for a work and development permit. See the Department of Justice and Regulation’s website for information on eligibility and how to apply.

Page last updated on 2 Jan 2018