Protected disclosures

This page has moved to EPA’s new website. You can find the up-to-date information using the link below:


FAQs about protected disclosures + Expand all Collapse all

  • What is improper conduct?

    Improper conduct is defined in detail in section 4 of the Act and includes:

    • corrupt conduct that would constitute an indictable offence against an Act or certain common law offences
    • specified conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or reasonable grounds for dismissal.
  • Who can make a disclosure?

    Any individual or group of individuals who have reasonable grounds for believing that improper conduct has occurred can make a protected disclosure. A disclosure cannot be made by a business or company.

  • How do I make a disclosure?

    Disclosures can be made in writing or by telephone and may be made direct to EPA or to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).

  • Who can I make a disclosure to?

    To make a protected disclosure about EPA or any of its employees contact:

    Protected Disclosure Officer
    EPA Victoria
    PO Box 4395
    Melbourne Victoria 3001
    Telephone: 03 9695 2798
    Email: protected.disclosure@epa.vic.gov.au


    The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)
    Level 1, North Tower
    459 Collins Street
    Melbourne Victoria 3000
    GPO Box 24234, Melbourne Victoria 3001
    Telephone: 1300 735 135
    Website: www.ibac.vic.gov.au

  • How does the process work?

    This process relates only to disclosures made to EPA. Disclosures made directly to IBAC will be handled in accordance with IBAC’s guidelines and processes.

    Allegations that are assessed as complying with the requirements of the Act will be kept in confidence, with information about you or your disclosure only disclosed in accordance with the law. Investigations will be handled with sensitivity to the principle of natural justice and steps will be taken to prevent the conduct continuing or occurring in the future. If appropriate, disciplinary proceedings may be taken against a person responsible for the conduct or the matter may be referred to Victoria Police or IBAC for further consideration or action. EPA will take precautions to prevent its public officers from taking detrimental action in reprisal for a protected disclosure.

  • What if I have a complaint about something other than improper conduct?

    If you are an EPA duty holder (such as an EPA-licensed or non-licensed business) and have a complaint about the professional conduct of one of EPA’s authorised officers, refer to EPA’s authorised officer complaints management policy.

    If you have a customer service complaint refer to EPA’s Customer service charter (publication 1432).

    If you are an individual or business that has received a pollution abatement notice (PAN) or a clean up notice (CUN) and wish EPA to review its decision refer to EPA’s Remedial notice review policy (publication 1531).

Page last updated on 1 Jun 2020