About us

EPA authorised officer complaints

EPA call centre staffer.

If you are an EPA duty holder (such as an EPA-licensed or non-licensed business) and want to submit a complaint about the conduct of one of EPA’s authorised officers, read the policy and FAQs below.

If you want to report pollution to EPA, use our Report pollution page.

For all other types of complaints, please contact us.

Authorised officer complaints management policy and form

EPA expects its authorised officers to exercise their powers with a high degree of professionalism and impartiality and does not tolerate improper conduct.

The Authorised officer complaints management policy (publication 1454) describes the following:

  • who can make a complaint
  • how to make a complaint
  • the complaint process
  • what to expect from EPA.

All authorised officer complaints must be submitted to EPA in writing. Use the form below or contact EPA’s customer service team on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC). They can provide a hard copy of the complaint form.

Q&A on the authorised officer complaints process + Expand all Collapse all

  • What is an authorised officer conduct complaint?

    EPA defines a complaint as an external expression of dissatisfaction about inappropriate conduct of an authorised officer. Conduct is how the EPA authorised officer behaves in a particular place or situation while performing their statutory role.

  • Who can make a complaint?

    Any member of the public or person who has a duty or obligation under the EP Act (a duty holder) can make a complaint if they believe there is an issue regarding the conduct of an authorised officer within the context of their statutory role.

    All other complaints can be made by contacting EPA’s customer service team on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC).

  • How do I make a complaint?

    All authorised officer complaints must be submitted in writing using the Authorised officer complaint form (PDF 1.6MB). To obtain a hard copy of the complaint form contact EPA’s customer service team.

  • What does it cost?

    There is no cost.

  • What information should I provide? Focus on the facts. Provide enough information for EPA to understand the allegation. Be brief and concise. Provide reference to relevant documentation if relevant, for example, an inspection report title and date.
  • Do I need to give my name?

    Ideally, duty holders should provide contact details as anonymous complaints are difficult to investigate. However, if you wish to submit an anonymous complaint, please leave out your personal details in the complaint form.

  • What happens after I make the complaint?

    EPA will send an acknowledgement letter to you within five business days of receipt of your complaint letter.

  • How long will it take?

    EPA attempts to resolve all authorised officer complaints within 20 business days of receipt of the complaint with the following exception:

    • 45 business days for complaints regarding allegations of abuse or undeclared conflict of interest.
  • What happens when the investigation is complete?

    You will receive a letter summarising the complaint outcome and action (if relevant).

  • What do I do if I want to complain about the way EPA has handled my complaint?

    If you do not believe EPA has handled your complaint appropriately, you can contact Ombudsman Victoria.

Page last updated on 16 Oct 2018